Our recent theme nights here at Bickleigh Mill have included celebrations of Greek and Mexican food.
Cinquo De Mayo
This Mexican celebration is in honour of the Mexican army’s 1862 victory over France at the Battle of Puebla during the Franco-Mexican War. Our kitchen served up a mouthwatering platter of Mexican inspired delights (shown in the picture –>), including:
- gallinas borrachas – chicken pieces cooked with chorizo ham, tomato, light spices and sherry
- costillas con lentelejas – diced rib of beef slow cooked with lentils, herbs and tomatoes
- frijoles refritos – refried beans
plus a wonderful starter and a selection of homemade desserts. This was accompanied by the wonderful Mark Barnwell playing music with a Mexican flavour. You can view the full details of the evening here.
Greek Night saw the kitchen lovingly prepare a Greek-inspired feast (featured in the image above) including:
- Moussaka – layers of minced lamb and baked vegetables in a rich tomato sauce
- Yemista – stuffed peppers and tomatoes with a rice filling
- Souvlaki – marinated cubes of pork, griddled with lemon, oregano, salt & pepper
- Edtatoes – potatoes cooked with olives and sundred tomatoes
This was accompanied by music of a Greek Flavour from the brilliant Xenos. You can view the full details of the evening here.